Thursday, July 4, 2013

Contentment.









There's this idea of contentment. And this idea of happiness. And I think it's mainly believed that in order to be content one must be happy. However, I fully believe that these are two separate entities. Happiness comes in seasons. It's very much like a roller coaster. Comparatively, contentment is a way of living. Contentment is not so much up and down as it is a lifestyle. Contentment, to me, means peace. Why are these two things seemingly so correlated but so easily confused?  



I think Jesus calls us to be content. However, I don't think that Jesus doesn't want us to be happy because He loves for us to be happy. He even says in the book of 1 Thessalonians "Be joyful always.." (5:16). I also do not think we're not allowed to be sad, because there is a time for everything.


    "a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace." (Ecclesiastes 3:2-8)



Regardless of all of that, Jesus calls us to be content.


“Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.” (Philippians 4:11-12)



“For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Corinthians 12:10)
I'm learning to be content right now. More so, I'm learning to apply that to my life. I'm learning what it means to be content where my feet are walking in that moment. I have yet to figure it out, and I probably will never do that, but I am praying for contentment in my life; whether it be a victory or a loss.


I'm praying that Jesus will continue to teach me to be content in my walk and with whatever He is doing in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment